Promoting Merthyr Tydfil
Marketing the town centre to visitors and capturing more local spend
Recovering Merthyr 2020
Due to unforeseen circumstances caused by Covid-19, all of our 2020 events are cancelled. Our focus has shifted to provide as much practical help, support and advice to our members as possible during these unprecedented times.
As part of our recovery process for Merthyr town centre, we plan to continue delivering exciting events in the town centre in 2021 to draw new visitors to Merthyr and present a positive image of our town. Some events are directly organised by us, whilst we are increasingly working with external organisers who we assist with event organisation advice and marketing support.
- Merthyr Comedy Festival – 8th April – 10th April (joint organisers)
- Merthyr Pop Up Chilli Fest – June date TBC (joint organisers)
- Merthyr Food Festival – July date TBC (main organiser)
This summer’s events include:
Due to Covid-19, all 2020 events listed below have been cancelled.
- Merthyr Scooter Rally – Saturday 12 May (externally organised)
- Merthyr Rising – 25, 26 and 27 May (externally organised)
- Merthry Pop Up Chilli Fest – Saturday 23 June (joint organisers)
- Merthyr Food Festival – Saturday 21 July (main organiser)
- Open Air Cinema – Saturday 18 August (main organiser)
- Merthyr Gin & Prosecco Festival – Saturday 8 September (externally organised)
You can keep up to date with everything that is going on by checking our We Love Merthyr Facebook page.
We Love Merthyr Social Media Campaign (ongoing)
We promote the town centre through our We Love Merthyr Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds and keep visitors informed about events, activities and special promotions in the town. To date, we have over 11600 followers on Facebook, 3025 on Twitter and over 1500 on Instagram.
In addition to general year-round information, we use our social media platforms to run high profile targeted campaigns promoting our businesses at key times. In 2020 we are running the following campaigns:
- Valentine’s Day featured 25 BID businesses with a Facebook reach of 47,858.
- COVID-19 Emergency Campaign reached a total of 272,000
- Business Recovery Campaign (June 2020)
- Independent Retailer Month (July 2020)
- Back to School (September 2020)
- Christmas Shopping (November and December 2020)
- Small Business Saturday (December 2020)
- Christmas Advent Calendar (December 2020)
We Love Merthyr Website (ongoing)
The We Love Merthyr website is the ‘go to’ website for anyone wanting to shop in or visit our town centre. In 2017 it received over 38,000 visits with people searching for everything from event information to business opening hours and car parking information to places to visit. It includes a business directory, a section for you to promote your loyalty card offers, a what’s on listing highlighting town centre events and a comprehensive visiting Merthyr section.